Thursday, May 9, 2013

ICU was fun.

I hated the first icu. Not the smartest or nicest nurses in there. Some X-ray tech came in to do a chest X-ray around 1am. Sat me up all the way in the bed and made the bed hard, so it was fully inflated felt like concrete. Took the X-rays then laid me flat down (something you can't do to heart surgery patients) and she didn't make bed soft afterwards. So for 20 minutes I cried and yelled help with no response. I could not find my nurse button, could not move to look for it and the hard bed was pulling apart my chest as I laid flat on my back struggling to breathe. Finally some man ran by and I yelled as loud as I could. He popped his head in and said "did you say something ?" Apparently my loud screams were whispers. I said make my bed soft please. He did and I passed out. Worst experience of my life.
Until the 4 am sponge bath with cold water and an ugly nurse. That sucked. Then some woman walked in to take me for a walk to test my heart. This was at 730 am my surgery ended the evening before at 630 pm. This woman is crazy I'm not walking anywhere. I can't even sit up. So she prepped me despite me telling her I was not walking. I'm couldn't stay awake and my new nice icu nurse was there to take me to the other icu area. Determined this lady organized all my cords, machines and tubes that were connected to me and sat me in a chair trying to talk me into walking the halls. I kept falling asleep. After about 30 minutes she decided to take my blood pressure. 88/45 I was not walking anywhere. Ha. I win again. But really who thinks a heart patient about 12 hours after surgery is going to walk laps in the halls so she can get active heart readings??? Really?

The nice icu nurse that was laughing to herself while all that went down then she took me and all was good after that. I was happy. I thanked her. She laughed and said she was not going to make me walk around until I was ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment